Yesterday was the first day of school. It was an especially big day for Henry because he started kindergarten!
His teachers are Mrs. Mason and Mrs. Monachino. He was a little nervous the night before, but yesterday morning he was excited and ready to go. He had a great day, but was very tired when I picked him up.
Jack started third grade and his teachers are Mrs. Conrad and Mrs. Shannon. He is an old pro at starting school, so he wasn't nervous at all. He was ready to see all of his friends and get back to school.
The night before school started, we enjoyed a special treat of their favorite chocolate cake.
In a way, I have been dreading this day since Henry was born. The start of kindergarten for Henry marks an end to the time of little boys home during the day with me. These years have been sweet and precious.
I was sad when Jack started kindergarten, but Henry was still at home. I was excited to have one-on-one time with him, as I had with Jack before Henry was born. We had three sweet years together at home, just the two of us during the day. He is my little buddy and our days at home were an easy rhythm of the normal things of life: playing, going to the gym, running errands, watching Lion King and Koko the gorilla videos on YouTube while we ate lunch.
I am thankful that we have two happy, healthy boys who are able to go off to school and thrive. And I recognize they can't stay at home with mom forever. However, for a few days at least, I am going to allow myself to be sad.
I suppose I am thankful for this ache in my heart. This ache means something is not quite right. But it also means that I had the gift of being home with them during these years.
About a year ago, I read a devotional that compared the changing of a season of life to a wave coming in to the shore. It said "If you try to stand and face the wave, it will smash you to bits, but if you trust the water and let it carry you, there's nothing sweeter... Unclench your fists, unlock your knees and the door to your heart, take a deep breath and begin to swim."
I guess it is time for me to start swimming. But this morning, I find myself listening for the voices of little boys and wishing for one more morning of playing outside with Jack and Henry in the cul-de-sac, with nothing on our to-do list except those seemingly mundane, yet oh so precious things of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment