This morning started out very much the same as Monday did. I packed a picnic lunch, loaded up the boys and we headed to the zoo. This time, as opposed to Monday, we made it all the way to the zoo. We even got a spot in the closest parking lot. And that's when it started feeling a lot like Monday.
Only this time when I looked in the rearview mirror, it was Jack and not Henry throwing up. To be fair, I guess I shouldn't have been completely shocked because he had been telling me his stomach hurt while we were driving to the zoo. I thought it would go away when we got to the zoo and he got distracted by all the excitement.
The first words to go through my head were, "Not again!", followed by thoughts of how are we going to get this cleaned up, we drove all the way here and now we're going to have to turn around and go home, etc. And then I heard Jack's little four-year-old voice say, "I'm sorry Mama."
My sweet boy, literally covered in puke, stopped my selfish thoughts in my tracks. He wasn't complaining about how was going to ruin his morning; he was thinking of me. And I was reminded that this is what Mama-love is. It's cleaning the puke off your four-year-old and his carseat as best you can while your 1 year-old-year screams and screams in his carseat because he wants to get out and go see the animals. And reassuring Jack that Mommy isn't mad because he threw up, and no you can't start eating your trail mix yet even if you say you feel better already.
Then we went to the zoo, saw the animals, rode the carousel and train, and Jack ate all his trail mix and all his lunch. And no, he didn't throw up again and yes, I am really good at cleaning puke out of carseats.
No comments:
Post a Comment